Elizabeth Browning

6:52 PM Edit This 2 Comments »
When I read this piece, I found myself thinking not so much about the work itself, but about who wrote it. Until now, I had never really read much from Elizabeth Browning, but instead I have read a lot from her husband, Robert Browning. First of all, it's amazing how similar their writing styles are. I also enjoyed the fact that particularly in this piece, they both tend to put a lot of their own personal lives into their poetry. It was a very refreshing piece to read and it has made me was to seek out other things by both Robert Browning and Elizabeth Browning as well as other Victorian era authors.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is the first poet where their own life has been heavily weaved into their poetry. I think it is kind of interesting, just because with Browning it is so blatantly obvious that it is her own life. I think if someone tried to pull that off today the way she did it back in her day, it would literally come off as being cheesy, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting point. I think that when it comes to certain authors, we tend to place a great deal of pressure on their biography and what it might tell us about the literature. Elizabeth Barrett Browning appears to be one of those cases.