Lanval

5:35 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
I was actually really excited to read this particular piece because I have always loved the Arthurian legends. I have to say, Lanval, though probably one of the older pieces, is really unique from others I've read, particularly the more current renditions.

The biggest difference that really stuck out to me was in the characterization. It seemed to me that King Arthur, though not a very important character in this piece, was portrayed in a rather harsh light. In most Arthurian writings I have read, he is always glorified as being the very image of chivalry and honor, and this poem just doesn't reflect that. The same can be said of Queen Guinevere. Yes, she is legendary for her affair with Sir Lancelot in nearly every rendition of the Arthurian legends, but she also typically has a more honorable air.

The overall plot of this piece really reminds me of the Bible story of Joseph, in which as a slave, he is confronted by his master's wife with a similar proposal as is seen between Guinevere and Lanval. Considering the time period in which this is written, and the theories as to the possible identity of Marie de France, I wonder if the author was inspired by this story as many writers of that time were drawn to images from the Bible.

After reading it, I was left with a few questions though. I'm curious if Lanval is an actual knight never mentioned in the original tales of Arthur, or if Lanval is just one of the many names of Sir Lancelot. I think it's possible he is Lancelot because of his interaction with Guinevere. That interaction could be Marie de France's rendition of their legendary affair. Also, in line 641, it says: With her he went to Avalun, so the Bretons tell us. In most other Arthurian legends, Lancelot is constantly related to the legendary Avalun or Avalon. In some, it is through who is believed to be his mother, in others it is through the Lady of the Lake. Still, it makes me curious.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree with your observation how King Arthur seems to be almost portrayed in a negative light. Why did Marie de France decide to write it this way? He seems to be the villain, yet at the end his actions aren't cruel or unreasonable. He does let Lanval leave with his mistress.