A Room of One's Own

3:17 PM Edit This 4 Comments »
This piece interested me because despite the fact that it was a non-fictional type of essay by Virginia Woolf, it was also a perfect example of the style of writing she exhibits in her other work, such as her short stories.

One of this biggest similarities I noticed was in her tendency to ramble. She would start out with one point, and end up at some distant and in many cases non-related point. I tend to think that this is no accident, but instead that it was intended. I think that Woolf uses this as a way of communicating something to the reader that she can't quite put into words. Instead she simply implies it, or makes a point that she assumes will bring the reader to her own chain of thought. It's really an interesting technique if in fact that was her intention. And even if it wasn't, it's still interesting to see the possibility of such a pattern because it also puts her one step ahead of her readers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was struck by the way the narrative seems to present itself as purposefully not authoritative, which allows a distance between her text and Wollstonecrafts. I definitely think this an effective way of making a controversial point. Wollstonecraft was met with harsh criticisms and counter arguments when she presented the same ideas because she did so in a manner that was very concise and factual. With Woolf, you have a very airy, artsy, piece that is wrapped in the veil of musings, and therefore cannot be argued with. Her text is immediately less intimidating than Wollstonecraft, and I think this allows for a more open and understanding attitude in the audience to emerge. I am certainly not knocking Wollstonecraft here, considering that her circumstances were fairly different from Woolf's and she was writing in a time when, without the authority she included in her piece, it would have been brushed off and the opprotunity for feeback, even the negative kind, would have been laughable. Ultimately, I think both womed did an excellent job in terms of conveying their ideas and fighting for their sex, but I enjoyed the less academic nature of Woolf just a tad bit better.

Julie Cha said...

I agree that her rambling was very focused in her writing. It was something different because usually in writing that type is discouraged and remaked badly on. So, to see Woolf use that technique was interesting if baffling. Although, she tended to ramble I would say that she used it to show how passionate and full of emotion she was while writing this piece.

GeneralInfo said...

Yes! I complete viewed Woolf writing in the ame light. This "rambling" as what many may see it as is her signature writing. It is the style that she wants to introduce and she is definitely known for it. Iactually like it believe it or not. I tend to ramble myself haha

Trisha said...

I caught on to the rambling to. But For some reason it applealed to me. It make it more intresting to read. I like hte fact that she keep jumping for one thing to another. I think alot of poeple think that way and she was just putting her words on to paper. I was looking at the last time that I wrote in my own journal. And I noticed that I jumped around trying to write everythign that I could remember that I wanted to write about